Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Flipped Classroom? Say wha????!!!

                               
This weeks class was quite humorous to me. Most of the time I sat there quietly and just listened to my classmates opinions on the flipped classroom. I don't think one person in the class agreed with or even thought that the flipped classroom was a good idea! I agree with them though. The flipped classroom just doesn't seem like something that would work or should work in the classroom. First... It would be nice to just do projects in class and have the students listen, watch, or read the lecture at home, but there is no way that all or even half of the students would do their work at home. Not with all the sports, band, lessons, or even family time that many kids take part in after school. Second... With this set up there is basically no need for a teacher in the classroom. There could be a classroom facilitator at school when the children at school and then the teacher would never need to actually be in contact with the students.

Now I could see where this could be nice every once and awhile. If you could actually guarantee that the students would watch/listen to the lecture on their own. It would definitely be a time saver. But at the same time I would want to check and make sure that the kids understood the lecture. Maybe using the at home lecture as a review would be better.

Yes social media! Kids live in a world of facebook, twitter, and youtube and so do I!!!  So why can't we take that weird world of social media that we get stuck in and use it for learning? Now it's true, I might get distracted being on a facebook or twitter for an activity. But I think there are ways to get around that.

Twitter is a great way to extend the classroom. I would use twitter as a way for my students to continue communicating in Spanish. I would post questions and students can answer and ask their classmates questions too. I will be using this.

No comments:

Post a Comment