Thursday, February 16, 2012

DOK Assessment

Recently I took the time to ask questions to each of my Spanish students as an informal assessment. It took up a big chunk of time in class but every student had to talk to me at least once. Now some of my questions could be what I would consider a lower DOK by simply asking for a translation. (ex. How do you say "I go" in Spanish" Other questions were a higher level of DOK. (ex. Donde vas despues de clase? or Where do you go after class?) With these questions students need to respond to real life situations in Spanish. Or I may ask them where they want to go after school which involves making the decision, translating it in their heads, and then giving me a complete sentence answer in Spanish. To me that's a high level of Spanish DOK.
I think it's very important to get kids thinking on the highest level possible. They aren't going to know how to function in real world jobs where problem solving and thinking outside of the box are needed unless we push them higher. I also don't think that we can always keep a class on the same DOK level. I think this is where we might need to tier a class or use another form of differentiation. I know I have to use different levels in different classes. It just depends on my students and what they can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment